Injustice in the School
*please read and spread around
Allow me to introduce myself. My name is Kristen Patterson, I am 14 and attend Blessed Trinity Catholic Secondary School. And I am a recovering self harmer.
As I am 30 days clean of cutting, I’ve built up tremendous amounts of confidence. For months I’ve hidden my arm, because of the way it looks. But as of late, like I mentioned, I’ve become more confident and have been wearing sleeves up.
One day at school, Thursday April 12th to be exact, I was told by teacher personnel to roll down my sleeves, because it “might be disturbing to others.”
I was very offended by then, and quite upset. So, I went and found my boyfriend and he told me this should be brought to the office, and so we did.
In the office, we waited for the principal to finish with whatever so we could bring this to him. We waited. And then we met the youth worker in the office, and told her my situation. She took us to another room and explained that some people just won’t be used to it. I cried, because this was a new step for confidence for me so I could resume being like everyone else, but I was denied of it.
So she brought us back to into the main office and we met the principal. I had my boyfriend in the room so he could help me explain the situation, because I wasn’t able to talk by myself without crying.
The principal then began to explain to me how I am not permitted to have my arm out at school. David, my boyfriend, asked if this was an actual rule. The principal avoided a straight answer, so David requested to see this rule.
The principal proceeded to say “You aren’t being productive to the conversation. Please leave.” then guided him from the room. After David had left, the principal began to explain how I should “Really think about how other people will feel looking at my arm, how it’ll effect their minds and how it could really hurt them.”
I was thinking, “Are you kidding me? I feared for months being judged by these people and ridiculed, and you’re telling me that I should consider THEIR feelings?”
I had enough. I was full on sobbing at this point, while my principal sat there, stone faced, watching me. I ran out of the room and David was waiting in the waiting room, I ran from there too. He followed me and asked what happened, I told him, and he left for about 45 seconds. I kept moving and eventually collapsed on the ground, crying my heart out.
The youth worker had followed me and was trying to calm me down, David had returned.
Now, David is a very trust worthy person, so i believe him 100% for what I’m about to tell you he said to the Principal. It was along the lines of “You should really consider how she feels, how you’ve upset her so much over this.”
My principal translated this to threats, finger pointing, and in a different story explained to his mother. he had supposedly ripped off the blinds.
My boyfriend is now suspended for 20 days. He is missing an entire month of school for sticking up for me.
And I’m being ordered to wear long sleeves around the school.
So now tell me, how is this a catholic way of handling things? What if someone had been in a car accident and had scars on their face or arms or whatever, would they make them cover them up?
Why can we have graphic presentations of STDs, alcohol use, drug use, ect., but not a student who has self harm scars walk around with confidence and acceptance of their actions towards their self?
I am pissed.172 notes
- erikatheblonde reblogged this from fartfiction
- norm4lly-str4nge reblogged this from f4ithfulnessatitsfinest and added:
- norm4lly-str4nge likes this
- excelsioring likes this
- inverseandchorus reblogged this from hellyeahrecklessandbrave
- hellyeahrecklessandbrave reblogged this from f4ithfulnessatitsfinest
- f4ithfulnessatitsfinest reblogged this from a-monkey-in-a-mansuit
- cravin-some-ravin reblogged this from a-monkey-in-a-mansuit
- a-monkey-in-a-mansuit reblogged this from dropdeadmaria
- a-monkey-in-a-mansuit likes this
- dropdeadmaria reblogged this from damoonlady and added:
- lostand-found reblogged this from cutting-silently
- withoutrestraints likes this
- catching-feathers likes this
- happy-chun-time reblogged this from ominous-iniquity
- vivid-whispers likes this
- wantingwishingandwaiting reblogged this from iamlostyouaremylight
- iamlostyouaremylight reblogged this from cuteandcatholic
- justburnon reblogged this from strength-in-fears
- somedays-feel-like-raz0rblades likes this
- strength-in-fears reblogged this from nil----desperandum and added:
- skateorsnipe reblogged this from cutting-silently
- thequeenbb reblogged this from oh-so-whimsical
- strivingforskinny-00 reblogged this from inconsistentemotions
- inconsistentemotions reblogged this from cutting-silently
- stupidtiredcaffeinewired reblogged this from happiness--is-a-state-of-mind
- sensualnight likes this
- happiness--is-a-state-of-mind reblogged this from damoonlady
- happiness--is-a-state-of-mind likes this
- beingmormon likes this
- karmalized likes this
- cuteandcatholic reblogged this from labyrinthofmadness
- labyrinthofmadness reblogged this from sunsetss-and-silhouette-dreams
- sunsetss-and-silhouette-dreams reblogged this from oh-so-whimsical
- homedawgyo likes this
- ori-yentl likes this
- dee--annnaaa reblogged this from oh-so-whimsical
- besamos likes this
- induhcisive likes this
- oh-so-whimsical reblogged this from sleepwalkingantivist
- the-spunky-fox reblogged this from jaredhowie
- jescijynx reblogged this from heroes-never-perish
- it5-mi-fntnr3 likes this
- darkdreams--silentscreams reblogged this from im-falling-so-i-can-fly
- ominous-iniquity reblogged this from im-falling-so-i-can-fly
- xbloodyxcupcakex likes this
- heroes-never-perish reblogged this from aftert4ste
- heroes-never-perish likes this
- aftert4ste reblogged this from im-falling-so-i-can-fly